Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Sunday, June 20, 2010

How Do I Migrate My Blog From Blogger to Own Domain?

Shortly after I started blogging I bought 2 domain names but have never used them. Since I'm mulling around about changing the name of my cooking blog it might be a good time to put it onto it's own domain. The problem is I don't know how to do this without messing things up. So I'm putting the question out to you how to do this? Is it as simple as telling Blogger to use my domain url to publish to? If anyone knows how to migrate my blog over to its own domain or knows of a good tutorial could you please let me know?


8 comments:

Emm said...

There is a way to do it through your existing contro panel at Blogger and you can also redirect your feed and then your readers barely notice a difference. Sorry, I know that's not helpful but I've seen so many people do it wrong and lose all of their followers!

papabear said...

The way I did it, create me new blog with the new domain, etc and then, in my case I am using wordpress, use the impport function to import all my entries from blogspot to my new wordpress blog... Not sure whether that's what you are looking for :)

Blogger said...

To continue using Blogspot but at your own domain, which will be simple because you already know how to use it, go to your Blogspot Panel > Settings -> Publishing

You will see the following option:
"You're publishing on blogspot.com

Switch to: • Custom Domain (Point your own registered domain name to your blog) "

Choose that option (custom domain).
Search Google for "free domain hosting"

Read more at Blogspot's Help page for custom domains:
http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55373

Hope this helps. :)

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Emm :) I think the main concern is messing it up. It would be a concern with any blog but the cooking blog has a good readership so it is more of a concern.

Emm said...

Would you like me to contact some of my friends who have done the same thing? I know of one girl who did it really well. She moved over her Blogger blog and my feeds automatically updated itself in my reader.

Garden Gnome said...

Not quite papabear but thanks :)

Garden Gnome said...

Thanks Blogger! I appreciate the help. I will read through the link you gave. Will this transfer all previous posts and comments as well to the new domain?

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Emm :) That would be super! Thanks so much.

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.