Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Monday, July 5, 2010

Using Polls on Blogs

Right from the early days of blogging I have used polls on my blogs. I use them as a way of getting input from my readers.  The benefit to this is sometimes I may spend a considerable amount of time tweaking one element of my blog but the reality is after getting reader feedback that element is not where I should be spending the time.  I also use polls to give me a bit of direction.  For example readers might be interested in one topic that I haven't covered the way I should.  So polls help to get me focused sometimes.  I honestly don't use polls as much as I should but in reality they really are only suited to certain types of blogs. 

Polls can be a very valuable input as to what readers want to see on your blog.  Yes, readers do matter so I like getting their input and quite often a poll will bring a better picture than comments alone.  The reason ends up being simplicity.  All the reader has to do is click on the appropriate answer then click vote.  That takes them all of about 2 seconds compared to leaving a comment that can take 5 minutes or more.  So polls are a very convenient way for readers to have their input without taking up a lot of their time.  They are a way of engaging the reader to see what the reader is looking for.  I find that using polls can add a bit of a spark to my blogs where I use them because the bottom line is the poll results give a bit of focus and blogfodder.  More importantly by incorporating some of what the reader is looking for in my blogs, I feel it makes for better, more effective blogs.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.