Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Friday, August 6, 2010

Do What I Say Not What I Do!

I my gosh!  The other day excited about installing backgrounds via Blogger upload rather than having images hosted on Photobucket I made a huge mistake!  Pay attention!  Apparently this feature is only available in draft blogger and not using classic templates.  I decided to change my gardening blog.  No problem, so it seemed since I've been changing blogs since I started blogging. 

Rule #1 - Always backup your template.  So I'm off to play with my template and as normal I backed up my template.  Wrong!  For some reason I hit to backup my blog not my template except that wouldn't become apparent until after the damage was done.  The good news is I at least when put into perspective backed up the most important part of my blog, the posts and comments. 

Rule #2 - Do not panic.  I played around a bit, changing to a new updated template and tried adding the background.  No problem except despite having the background set to 1800 x 1600 it still didn't work properly.  That's when I decided to revert to my old tried and true Rounders template and reality hit the proverbial fan so to speak.  After a bit of serious hyperventilating to the point I had to walk away from the computer for a couple of hours, I realized there was no need to panic.  Since I had designed the previous layout it shouldn't be all that difficult to put it back together.  Luckily when I went to Blogger's Page Elements most of my elements were still there just not where they were supposed to be.

Rule #3 - Be Systematic.   I realized I did a huge and I do mean huge screw up but once I saw most of the elements were there I started to slowly but systematically restore my gardening blog to what it was.  With each change to the template I did the preview then save.  Slowly things started getting back to normal but there was a lot of switching between page elements and edit html.  And you can bet your bottom line when I finished I applied Rule #1!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.