Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Monday, December 20, 2010

Niche Blogging

In my experience, for most intents and purposes it is better to narrow your blog down to a particular niche.  Niche blogging helps to keep the blog itself focused making it easier to write articles.  However, some nice blogging is not without problems.  For example when I started my cooking blog little did I know that coming up with post topics can become difficult because once I've posted about a recipe unless I change it somehow there really isn't more to say without being redundant.  So even though it looks like an easy niche it is a bit more difficult that it appears.  Another example is my gardening blog.  Essentially from spring to late fall there is lots to talk about then after late fall nothing!  The topics just dry up. 

I think for me recognizing that sometimes there are problems with niche blogging was a real positive step into understanding the realities of blogging.  If you want your blog to do well it means regular content but understanding that sometimes that isn't as easy as it sounds helped me to focus a bit on solutions to those nice blogging problems.  Part of the solution I came up with was to establish 'special day' posts like Frugal Kitchens 101 (Mondays) and Kitchen Quick Tips (Thursdays) on my cooking blog and I have just recently started a new monthly feature to run on the last day of the month with my 2 picks for the best dish or recipe made.  So out of a 30 day month I already have 9 posts!  The garden blog has been a little more problematic to solve in the sense a regular feature wouldn't work well through the busy gardening season.  It's still a challenge that I'm working on trying to get regular posts out without going from November to March with no posts.  I will help a bit that we will be at our vacation home at some point during this time frame so that will give me a bit of gardening blog fodder. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.