Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Ping Effect

Back in September we were on vacation.   While had blissful real high speed internet so I could keep blogging in addition to scheduled posting, I neglected to ping my blogs for that three week period.  The simple reason for this is I simply forgot.   The effect of not pinging became apparent about a week into our vacation. 

Pinging is a very important component in blog promotion.  It is a way of letting blog directories and search engines know that you are still there adding new content to your blog.  Pinging helps to get your blog indexed that in return increases your traffic.  If you ping on a regular basis as I had been doing, the effects of not pinging is not noticeable immediately.  Rather the effects are gradual.  Unless you monitor your traffic trends it will take upwards of a month to start noticing a slight downward trend in your traffic.  Resuming pinging will not have immediate effects either so the effects of not pinging will likely last a month or more.

I learned a valuable lesson in blog promotion.  The good thing is in retrospect the decrease in traffic across all my blogs was minimum and recoverable likely because I had been making a point of regular pinging.  Resuming pinging solved the problem in a shorter period of time than anticipated so that was rather nice.  In future I will continue pinging even when on vacation.  Even pinging once a week during a vacation will take less than 10 minutes for all of my blogs while keeping the directories and search engines happy.


2 comments:

John | English Wilderness said...

I still don't really understand the benefit of pinging. Does it have to be done manually, can't it be automated somehow?

Garden Gnome said...

Hi John, sending a ping is a way of letting directories and search engines know you are there and still adding content. The easiest way to do this is to use a ping service that will send pings to multiple directories and search engines at one time. The only manual part needed is putting in your blog name, url and rss feed then click ping and the service does the rest for you.

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.