Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sitemaps

I have been racking my brain out as to why this blog has not gained Page Rank.  It's not like it doesn't have daily unique content and I've used basically the same technique getting it established as I have my other blogs.  So I wandered over to Google's Webmaster Tools.  I had been having a dickens of a time with the meta tag for my cooking blog so out of frustration I set it aside to work on later which really is always a bad thing to do when it comes to behind the scenes blogging issues.  After a bit of fiddling I got the meta tag to work then decided to tackle sitemaps.  A sitemap allows the bots to crawl your blog discovering pages they might not have found.  So I decided to add a sitemap to my cooking blog.  This is a bit more difficult in blogger but the easiest way to do it is to log into Webmaster Tools then click on add sitemap and add your atom or rss feed.  When you click add site map a popup will show http://yoururl.com/----- with the ----- being a space to add either atom.xml or rss.xml depending on your feed.  Ideally in place of the ----- use rss.xml?max-results=500&start-index=1 increasing the 500 if you have more than 500 posts in your blog.  Simply type that in and hit enter and presto you have added a sitemap for Google.  Pretty nifty, eh?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.