Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Few Thoughts on Blog Directories

One of the first pieces of advice with respect to gaining exposure to a new blogger is to get their blog listed in as many directories as possible.  Well as a new blogger in 2006 I followed that advice.  As an experienced blogger I'm now saying that advice is not so sound.  First and foremost of all the blog directories I belong to, I may at most get one visit from them in a month according to my stats.  So right there that tells you membership in blog directories is not giving a lot of benefits.  The reality is folks are going to the search engines not the directories to find blogs, something that is clearly shown in my stats.  The second problem is Google's algorthim.  Let's say you link to a blog directory that has PR 0 but your blog has PR 3.  Your PR ends us flowing to the directory so you are losing on the second point.  Finally, blog directories like all other online sites have a finite life.   A surprising number look good, full of promises and yet fail in the first year leaving dead links on your blogs to further erode your PR. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.