Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Thursday, April 14, 2011

An Interesting Comment Observation

During my recent comment clean-out I noticed that a large number of the comments have an url www.blogger.com/profile/[user profile number].  The reason for this is Blogger allows a reader to post a comment using their Google profile if that option is checked under the comments.  In reality this lets the user's avator to be used so it is a bit of branding but other than that gives no real benefits.  With respect to my cooking blog that I just cleaned out from 2,726 to 2,515 I would hazard a guess that about half of the remaining comments have a Blogger profile url.  I don't know how this affects Page Rank or if Google who owns Blogger doesn't factor this in.  I suspect they may otherwise it would be a huge drain on any Blogger hosted blog but we aren't seeing that with Blogger blogs that have a large number of comments.  This does leave me with wondering how to deal with these comments though.  I guess what I will do is go back and remove any comment that leads to a dead profile link as that will help but my gosh it is a lot of work.  It would be nice if a Blogger profile link goes dead associated comments are automatically gone but I suppose some would complain about this not realizing any time a link from your blog goes to a dead end is not a good thing.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.