Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Monday, April 25, 2011

It's My Blog, My Rules

Blog is short for weblog, an online diary basically.  When blogs first came to be there were no comments on them because really would someone comment in your diary?  No!  The premise was to share your thoughts and feelings with others in a bit more public manner but comments were never part of the equation.  By the time I started blogging in early 2006 the blogging rules had slackened a bit so allowing comments was the huge thing.  The premise was allowing comments would develop backlinks and foster reader interaction.  And it did but what wasn't predicted was the rise of comment spam and anonymous comments.  Comment spam in and of itself is just a pain to deal with even if comments are moderated because at least you the blogger has to see it to reject the comment.  Anonymous comments can be both good and bad.  I've had both ranging from asking questions to my online stalker. 

Turning off comments on my blogs has given me a new sense of freedom.  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there will not be some type of comment spam to have to deal with in the morning.  I did get one rather irate email regarding my new comment policy but put it into the trash bin where it belonged.  Obviously this person doesn't understand it's my blog, my rules.  Comments were always a priviledge not a right on any of my blogs.  Now it is a non-issue because as far as I'm concerned comments will remain disabled unless I find a really good and I do mean really good reason to enable them again.