Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Thursday, April 21, 2011

What If? Are You Prepared if Your Blog Suddenly Goes Viral?

Yesterday I checked my stats as I normally do.  One of my blogs showed a lovely spike, not a spectacular one but one certainly large enough to get my attention.  Upon checking further there were a lot of hits coming from CBC, a Canadian television station.  I'm grateful for the extra traffic knowing it too shall pass but the question is always when this type of thing happens, am I'm prepared.  I've heard of blogs going from a couple of hundred of hits a day to thousands just by getting a good Digg.  Logistically this can cause problems. 

One of the biggest problems is image hosting.  If images on your blog are hosted on a blog hosting site like Photobucket, sudden popularity could cause you to exceed your alloted bandwidth meaning all images are replaced by a generic 'upgrade account' image.  However, the image hosting could be minor in comparison to your actual blog host.  A huge spike in traffic has the potential to shut down your blog until the bandwidth resets!  Depending on when this happens your blog could be down for a day or two to a lot longer.  The option is of course to update the amount of bandwidth you can use. 

The problem is you never know if a blog post is going to go viral pushing you over your allotted bandwidth.  Anticipating the event is virtually impossible and paying extra just in case can be costly.  I seriously doubt any of my blog posts will ever go viral.  So I'm not prepared other than to deal with it if a blog post ever does go viral.  I think if one of my posts or even blog went viral the primary concern would be dealing with the heart attack ;)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.