Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Friday, September 16, 2011

Alexa Shinnigans

I have been rather busy with the move, too busy to pay attention to all the various stat numbers.  One of my blogs was hovering around the 120,000 mark for Alexa ranking.  Yesterday, I noticed that that particular blog was now just over the 300,000 mark.  As Alexa ranking goes this is not good!  But how could that be?  I picked up 3 new followers over the past two weeks and according to Statcounter my traffic is up on average by 100 per day.  So my traffic and followers are up but my Alexa ranking declines?  The only thing I can think of is Alexa has changed the way they are calculating traffic. 

At one time Technorati, Alexa and Google Page Rank were the top three rankings to aim for.  As a blogger it was important to get ranked by these top three.  Now I'm not so sure.  Technorati very seldom sends traffic and I haven't seen much if anything from Alexa.  Google has been and remains to be very good to me.  From what I have seen Alexa is basically going to a paid service.  So if you pay them a fee per month they will monitor your site/blog.  My speculation is if you don't pay them they won't do much in the way of monitoring and I did notice somehow my category was switched to computers/internet then placed into bloggers so that might explain the drastic change.  Their monitoring is expensive at $149 per month for a site audit which is a little too expensive for this blogger's pocketbook. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.