Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Blogging for a Cause

Other than a focus on all things Canadian, I really don't blog for an actual cause. While I do not blog for an actual cause I mention my causes in the sidebar under 'in the community' or directly in the post.   I know some bloggers do blog for a cause though.  The problem with blogging for a cause is causes come and go and not all readers support your cause.  In fact some readers will take offense to your cause to the point of posting nasty comments or even stalking you.  It really doesn't matter what the cause is because someone, somewhere is going to have a problem with it then they make it your problem.

Whether or not you blog for a cause I have noticed those blogging for a specific cause tend to not be long lasting blogs.  Perhaps they tire of the negative comments.  I can count on one hand the number of blogs I met six years ago when I started blogging that were blogging for a cause that are still blogging.  Given that the lifespan of any blog is 3 months that's still rather good.  But still, cause blogs are few and far between anymore.  It's not that they can't be successful it's more that the niche is just too narrow.


2 comments:

Emm said...

I've been "blogging for a cause" for about 5 years now. I don't post as often as I'd like to but my blog is niche and people will only follow the blog if they want to. I do get trolls and negative comments and I have had threats made against me. It doesn't matter. If I can prevent one act of violence or hatred then I have done my job.

The one thing that does keep me going is the traffic to the blog. I can see that scholars and students are landing on the blog to research certain issues and I appreciate that they are learning something.

Garden Gnome said...

Emm, it is a shame that some feel the need to resort to threats or other undesirable behaviour simply because they don't agree with your point or view. I think blogging for a cause is admirable. Those who don't agree with your cause or point of view should have the courtesy to either leave polite, constructive criticism or keep quiet.

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.