Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Monday, May 14, 2012

What Makes a Good Blog Post?

Isn't that a good title?  Seriously, what makes a good blog post?  In many ways it is so much easier to define what a bad blog post it but it is a bit more difficult to define a good blog post.   I aim but don't always succeed at writing good blog posts.  Note I am saying good as in what meets the following criteria, not excellent or brilliant, just good.  My criteria for a good blog post are:

  • interesting title - The title captures the interest of the reader.  For that reason, it should reflect the content in such a manner that it draws the reader's attention.  At the same time, the title plays a very important role in SEO so it must include some of the keywords reflecting the content. 
  • content - Those in the know say that content is king.  Interesting content will capture the interest of the reader who may comment on the content, become a subscriber of your blog, or pass it on via social media.  Content also plays an important role in SEO so keywords must be used effectively and in a manner that would not be considered black hat SEO.  I think content is enhanced using one or more images as well.  An image can say so much!  While this blog seldom uses images in posts, my other five blogs do.
  • cohesiveness - In general blog posts should follow a cohesive thought that develops into a topic in a longer blog post.  The key word is cohesive.  A good blog posts needs a beginning, a middle and an end all tied together in a way that makes sense.
  • grammar - In general, readers expect a resemblance of good grammar, something they can comfortably read.  The reality is many bloggers' first language is not English so writing in English using good grammar can be difficult.  There are online sites or you can use MS Word to help with grammatical problems. 
  • spelling -  Readers typically don't want to read a post riddled with spelling errors.  My spelling is atrocious, my proof reading skills are on the lazy side and I'm dyslexic which means spelling errors do get through occasionally.  I use auto-correct  as I'm writing a post then do a final spell check prior to published.  While this does help catch the majority of spelling errors, it does not catch all of them. It doesn't help that I use Canadian spelling (eg. colour not color) and some of my readers don't like it but I'm Canadian so that's the spelling I use.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.