Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Monday, July 30, 2012

What Makes a Good Password

With my recent scare over the possibility that my Blogger (Google) account had been compromised, I set about changing passwords on several accounts.  In all honesty, I should have done so earlier this year but like many had become a bit lax.  What I noticed when changing my passwords is some sites have a rating to tell you how strong your password is.  This is a great idea!  So what makes a good password?  Here's a few tips:

  • don't use the same password for all accounts -  This is a disaster waiting to happen as that would gain the hacker access to every account you have.  Choose unique passwords for each account.
  • use a mixture of capitals, lower case, numbers and characters -  Strong passwords contain a mixture of all 4 in random order.  
  • don't use a pattern - It is easy to fall into a pattern when creating a password which means if someone cracks one password the others will be rather easy to crack. 
  • length - The longer a password, the harder it is to crack.  Many sites stipulate the password should be between 8 and 10 characters in length.  Don't use the minimum but rather use the maximum or close to the maximum number of characters allowed and make sure you mix them up.  As my husband says, it's a butt a$$ ugly password but at least it is secure.
  • don't use words - Don't use words in your password.  Your password can make sense to you without using words that would make it easier to crack your password.
  • don't use anything from your profile - This is especially important if your account has ever been hacked and someone has gained access to your personal information.  When creating a strong password don't use your initials, you postal code, your street numbers, the site name, your date of birth or anything else from your profile that would make your password easier to crack.  Anything used from your profile if used should be written in code.  For example, say you want to use 'cat' in your password.  Instead transform it into '3aT'.  See where I'm going? 


    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.