Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Anti-Google Movement?

When I started blogging back in the spring of 2006, the main advice was to get the attention of the search engines especially Google.  This was done by using good SEO methods.  Google has been slowly eroding away at using SEO and with their last few algorithm changes, many have seen their websites or blogs get delisted from Google.  That isn't a good thing and in fact can be the death of some businesses as well as a substantial loss of income.  From a blogging point, it really doesn't matter all that much unless you are trying to make a good income blogging.  The end result of the struggle between Google and SEO experts has been a growing anti-Google movement which is gaining momentum since the recent announcement that keywords are no longer going to be of high importance for Google searches as well as minimizing the number of search results on the first page.

Some SEO experts have gone as far as to make their websites anti-Google even blocking Google bots from crawling their websites.  Some are very vocal writing long articles about it while others are just quietly protesting behind the scenes, making their sites inaccessible to Google and using other search engines.  As a blogger, I personally think this is tossing the baby out with the bath water.

My blogger platform, Blogger is owned by Google and I have no intention of changing that.  All of my blogs get traffic from Google.   To me, any traffic from search engines is good traffic because it is organic.  I use good SEO methods (eg. image alt tags, meta tags, keywords) but I'm not a real fanatic about it.  I honestly don't see how keywords will no longer play a role in Google's search results even if they use a tracking cookie.  It's not like Google can guess what you are searching for.  I'm sure other search engines will still use keywords anyway.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.