Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Loading...

Monday, January 28, 2013

Stat Counter Adds Google Ranking on Google Searches

I've been a long time user of Stat Counter.  Today I noticed a new feature on visits from Google searches.  There is a small icon that displays =number (eg. =4).  This tells you where your page ranked in the Google search results.  Ideally the number should be 1 meaning you have written a good blog post that comes up as number 1 in the search results.  Realistically, as long as your blog post shows on the first page of the search results, you are doing good.  Even if blog post shows as a 15 in the search results, it still means you have either used keywords or written a blog post that the search engine brings up for those searching on that topic.  I'm not exactly sure how to use this information.

I suppose if a blog post consistently comes up with a high search ranking meaning it is not on the first page of the search results, then the post could be tweaked in terms of keyword or key phrases in the hopes of gaining a better ranking.  However, the fact that someone still visited your blog regardless of the fact it didn't show on the first page of the search results really is still rather good.  Whether that post ranks number one or number fifteen doesn't matter in the big picture because you still got traffic from it.

Bloggers aren't mind readers and while most keep the importance of keywords in mind, good blog writers don't write a post around keywords.  Rather, keywords occur naturally as you write the post.  Guessing what keywords or phrases someone looking for information is almost impossible although you can make an educated guess.  Part of the problem is linguistics.  Terminology varies from country to country, and within regions in countries.  For example, one person may say hat while a Canadian will say toque and others may say cap or beanie.  So if I write a blog post about the toque I just knit, it wouldn't come up if the searcher used the keyword hat.  I often ask myself what term or keyword I would use if I were searching for information on that topic but that in no way guarantees that is the same term or keyword someone else would use when searching for information on the same topic.

That's one reason why I don't like Google's new encrypted searches that give no information on what the search term was or what the reader was looking for.  The unencrypted search terms at least give you an idea of what the reader was looking for and perhaps even provide information on how you could expand that topic if so inclined.  The search ranking is a touchy, goodie, congrats you made the first page of the search results that doesn't help you improve your blogging.  I don't see it of much use to bloggers.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.