Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Friday, April 26, 2013

Page Rank & Adsense

Yesterday, I checked my Adsense account to be greeted with the updated Terms & Conditions which I agreed to.  So I decided to do a bit of checking to see what else had changed.  Under Adsense Program Policies I found:

"Do not include deceptive or manipulative content or construction to improve your site's search engine ranking (e.g. your site's PageRank)."
I know I did not see this before!  Every blogger has been displaying PageRank and Technorati rating badges for years.  Not once did I ever consider having either badge as being deceptive or manipulative or in fact in any way anything to do with search engine ranking.  To me, the badges served two purposes.  First, like the McD's billions served on their sign, the badges were a way of advertising to readers that hey, this blog is doing ok.  Second, the badges were a quick way to assess another blog if I wanted to buy advertising on it. 

I'm going ahead and removing both PageRank and Technorati badges not because of Adsense but because Adsense gave me the excuse to remove them.  I never liked the badges in the first place.  Most readers don't care about the numbers to begin with and they take up valuable blog real estate that could be used for much more interesting content.  At any rate, if you are displaying either badge or anything similar and using Adsense, you may want to consider removing it before you are forced to.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.