Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Does Allowing Comments Increase Blog Readership?

Back when I first started blogging, I knew enough that if I wanted to allow comments to turn comment moderation on.  Fast forward to the heyday (2007 to 2010) of blogging when the blog advertising networks were all the rage, allowing comments on blogs was stressed.  Comments were viewed as a way to engage the reader.  Some felt that comment moderation stifled the course of this natural interaction even though this made blogs not using comment moderation a mecca for spam comments.  The real question is, does allowing comments increase blog readership?  In my opinion, the answer is no.

I had comments turned on with comment moderation and I've had comments turned off.  The traffic remained the same regardless of the comments.  Comments really are just a touchy, goody feel thing for the readers.  As long as your blog(s) gets the attention of the search engines, you will get readers.  They may not stop and read for long and they may not visit often, but the readers will come.  The fact is the majority of readers don't care about whether or not they can leave comments, only that they get the information they are after.  These are the readers that will continue to visit whether or not comments are allowed providing they can find good, well presented information they are looking for.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.