Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Is Blogging Dead?

I came across a recent post by Rebecca Mecomber, author of The Older Geek asking 'Is the Blog Dead?'  She brings up a couple of good points especially the decline of blogs after the blogging networks folded.  Rebecca is quite correct that blogging seems to be on the downward spiral.  Like Rebecca, I have been blogging for quite some time.  She started blogging in 2007 while I started in early 2006.  I used to visit Rebecca's blogs on a regular basis when I was a member of the blog advertising networks but now I follow her on Twitter, visiting only when a topic of interest catches my eye. 

Blogging started out as an individual activity that grew to a social one via the blog advertising networks.  These networks were a wonderful way to get exposure for your blog, meet new bloggers and earn a bit of income.  The problem is, by design the blog advertising networks quickly took the fun out of blogging.  It was no longer simply about blogging.  It became more about how many clicks you could make in a day, how many posts you could pump out, consistently participating in social networks like Digg, Stumbleupon and Twitter, and networking.  The networks took blogging from fun to work.  In a world where little money was being made via blogging this quickly led to blogger burnout as bloggers tried to juggle jobs with the non-paid demands of blogging just in the hopes that at sometime their blog would make enough money they could give up their real jobs. 

I don't think blogging is dead but rather evolving.  Blogging has been evolving since its inception of basically an online diary of sorts.  If fact, many blogs bear little resemblance to what blogs started out as.  Design is very much a part of blogs today as much as the writing is.  I'm not even sure if the original blog ideal featured comments although most blogs allow comments of some type now.  Those like myself who have been blogging for a number of years making little if any income off their blogs are more than likely going to continue blogging until if and when they lose interest.  Twitter and Facebook have their benefits but don't offer the creativity that blogging affords.  Blogging has also become rather fashionable for businesses to touch base with their customers.  Main stream media is using blogging as a way to extend what they already offer to their subscribers likely as a way to drawn in new subscribers.  So, I don't see blogging drying up any time soon... 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.