Welcome to The Blog Report

I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you find this blog an interesting read. I've been blogging since April of 2006, currently the author of six public and two private blogs. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. Over the years through trial and error, frustration and elation, and a few tears I've learned a lot. However, the learning process when it comes to blogging continues to evolve. Here you will find a hodge podge of my blogging experiences, useful codes and how-tos, sprinkled liberally with my opinions. Enjoy!

Search this blog:

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Technorati or Not

Back in 2006 when I was setting up my first blogs, I added a post with nothing but the code for Technorati.  This code tells Technorati that the blog is mine and to track it.  Technically, since it should be getting no attention other than from the Technorati bot.  Well, over the past couple of weeks the Technorati post on one of my blogs has gained a lot of attention.  I'm not kidding!  The spam comments on this particular post are rather impressive, coming in at four or more a day.  I suspect that the spammers think linking their comment with any "Technorati" post will gain a bit more attention even if it is only a blog maintenance post.  It would be quite easy for spammers to set up a bot targeting any post that mentions Technorati. 

This is just one more reason to keep comment moderation in place.  In the long run, it saves a lot of time in having to remove comments posted without moderation.  It also prevents the creation of a huge PR hole.  Had I not had comment moderation in place, those comments would have been instantly published.  All of them contained links that definitely would have created a PR hole.  The real problem would have been had I been away and not had comment moderation in place!  I suspect many a decent blogger has lost PR because of this very problem.  At this rate, there has been no harm done.  I'm just curious how long the onslaught of spam comments on the Technorati code post will continue.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment. It will appear once approved.